Friday, April 15, 2011

The bonds of words

Last night, I had the opportunity to be in the presence of my CCPA peers, faculty and advisory board at the annual Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Awards Celebration and Banquet. Being a sophomore, this was my second time attending the event and both times have truly been an inspirational experience.

As I was sitting in a room full of people that I spend the majority of my time with I began to realize my many blessings. These blessings became apparent as each of the speakers took the stage and expressed their gratitude for this program, its faculty and the students who have championed through it together. In one of the speeches, our old department chair (my first CCPA teacher) Dr. McPhail, wrote a letter to the students of this division. In it he called us his "warriors of rhetoric" and I completely agree with that title.

This program has pushed me to my limits, exposed me to my weaknesses and taught me how to overcome them with perseverance. CCPA has not only opened my mind to academic lessons, it has provided me with a community, a safe place and a family. My CCPA family inspires me everyday to not only be a better academic but to be a better person.
The people in this program amaze me with their selflessness as well as their ambition. I am proud to say I am associated with this group of people. I am proud to say I will know the future Prime Minister of North Korea, the next champion in humanitarian efforts and numerous future Senator's and CEO's. I know everyone's successes in the future will not be taken for granted because we have all been exposed to the value of hard work and the necessity for camaraderie.

The bonds established in this program will remain throughout our personal and professional lives. Last night, our bonds grew through the heart warming speeches, the recognition of successes and the shared passion of knowing that one day we all will change the world, with the simple power of our words.

No comments:

Post a Comment