Friday, March 11, 2011

Behold the power of research!

The game of poker involves a little luck but a lot of skill, just like the world of PR. The PR world is dominated by expertise and strategic thinking, and that is why Burson-Marsteller is one of the best agencies in the business.

Mike Lake spoke to our class on Wednesday evening and explained what differentiated Burson-Marsteller from other agencies. He emphasized that their evidence-based approach allows them to not only tell their clients but show them the facts, which solidifies their campaign. The team at Burson-Marsteller makes it a point to be an expert in every campaign they run and embed their research in their messages.

The emphasis on research and strategy really got me thinking about my future jobs. Whether I go into the agency, corporate, or the political world of pr, research will be the foundation for my success. I don't know one intelligent thing about poker but as a PR professional I need to know when to hold em, fold em or ante up.

This ability to acquire such a vast amount of knowledge about various companies, products and people showed me how unique this industry is. In most professions you are an expert at your trade and it stops there. You have a limited supply of knowledge and you are expected to soak all of it up. In the world I am stepping in to, I will be able to become an expert at my craft and develop a knowledge base on a variety of different things. The possibilities in this profession are endless.

I believe with the evidence-based approach that as a PR professional our work is legitimized. Research is the foundation of this industry and it is the only way a newbie like me can succeed. With the tools of effective research and strategy a budding PR professional can become unstoppable.

1 comment: