Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When I grow up I want to be.......

What do you want to be when you grow up? This question is usually asked when we turn about 5 years old. However, back then we could come back with answers like princess or professional hot dog eater and now we have to reply with legitimate answers.


As a college student, I get asked this age-old question at least once a week. My responses usually constitute some variation of “I want to own my own strategic communications firm” and that’s when people turn their heads sideways and nod their heads and pretend to know exactly what I’m talking about, when in reality I don’t even know what I’m talking about.


However, there are three things I do know. I know that I love the food network, traveling and the power of persuasion. So with these things my career road map could be a communication director for food network, working in an international public relations firm and then going into politics. Yes, clearly this plan is all over the place but what I’m trying to emphasize is I want to use my communication skills to do something that I am passionate about, whether it be food network or politics.


I don’t have a five-year plan or a step-by-step analysis on how I am going to get my dream job because in all honesty I don’t know what that is. However, I do know that whatever I choose to do in life my passion for communications will be the foundation upon which I build my success.

No comments:

Post a Comment